Sunday, February 1, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me

Today I celebrated my 27th birthday by going for an 18 mile run. It was -33 with the windchill today so I didn't go outside the whole time. I ran the first 10 miles on the treadmill and then did 8 outside. I was eager to try out my new running gear that my boyfriend/coach bought me for my birthday. The run felt pretty good, it was my third 18 miler this year. 

I was well fueled from my birthday dinner last night, we went for a delicious tapas style dinner at Segovia in Osborne village. My pre-run meal today was homemade soup with rice vermicelli noodles and veggies. My post-run meal was the same thing, it was even better the second time. Of course I had chocolate milk right after my run to help with recovery. 

The Boston Marathon is 77 days away. My training is on track, I am feeling healthy and strong. I was quite sore after my last workout on Thursday, which was a 9 mile tempo. I think I was mainly sore from my soccer game that I had the same night at 11:00pm. I kind of felt my hip flexor at the beginning of my run today and felt really nervous, but it went away in the first half mile. It was probably just from playing spongee yesterday. I'm excited that the spongee season is almost over so that I don't get anymore mysterious aches and pains.

In the deep, dark, cold months of winter, it can be hard to convince friends to go out for runs. On the days that there is no one to run with, I would highly recommend listening to audiobooks or podcasts during easy runs and long runs, it makes the time go by faster. Last week I was listening to a podcast called "Serial" when I was running, but I finished it pretty quickly.  I started a new one called "Invisibilia" on Friday, and so far it's very good. If you have any recommendations for audiobooks or podcasts feel free to leave me a comment.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment