The marathon is now a week away and I am getting into taper-mode! (Yay!) I used to hate tapering when I ran in university because I felt like I was losing my speed and mentally I became out of it. Now, I LOVE the taper! I get to store up my energy this week and use it all on Sunday. I am actually so excited for the race next weekend! I've posted about tapering before (before Boston), but I'm going to re-highlight the main points of tapering, more for myself than anyone else.
- Sleep! 8-10 hours a night! No exceptions!
- Eat! Eat smart, don't be an idiot, eat foods you normally eat, more carbs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Hydrate! Drink lots all week, mostly water, some tea and juice.
- Take days off running! 2 or more depending how I feel, only one (short) workout this week.
- Don't do anything differently and be careful! No biking to school this week, no soccer, be smart.
- Make a race plan and visualize the race.
- Stretch and get a massage: Take care of yourself!
Have a great week everyone! Run Happy! (and taper happy!)